Monday, October 18, 2010

Crockpot

When I can actually find 20 minutes on Sunday (or even Monday morning) to gather my thoughts, I LOVE to plan our dinner schedule for the week. My goal as of late has been to cook every meal in the crockpot. It takes some motivation the night before (which is hard to muster up after getting Ellie to bed), but I am always SO SO happy when I get home from work and a yummy dinner is in there.

I get a lot of recipes from a cookbook my friend Carrie gave me around 10 years ago... Really that cookbook is what got me stared and confident in cooking and I learned a lot from that! I also get a lot of recipes from A Year of Slow Cooking. One thing I have learned from her is that you can make a LOT of things besides roast & soups/stews in there. Even pizza or brownies!?! I just ordered her cookbook too, so I'll let ya know.

Right now I have a crockpot of beans cooking (Craig's family makes plain pinto beans--they call them red beans?!?!-- w/ a can of rotel--i like to doctor them up a bit w/ some montreal, but other than that it's super easy) & we'll have cornbread with that. This week I'm going to try two other of our favorite casseroles in the crockpot (mexican cornbread & Cabbage casserole). I know they won't be exactly the same as in the oven but they both take over an hour to cook, let alone prepare, so hopefully they will be just as good.

What are your favorite crockpot recipes!?!? Please share some ideas!!!

1 comment:

Amber Waves Of Grain said...

I love to use the crockpot, especially now that I started using those plastic liners for easy cleaning!
This is my fav:
Creamy Chicken & Noodles

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or more)

2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) cream of chicken soup

1 stick of butter, sliced

1 49oz can chicken broth (those big cans)

32 oz frozen egg noodles (2 small packages) note-- original recipe calls for 1 package but Amber likes noodles...


Combine the chicken, soup, butter, and broth in your slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours. Take the chicken out and shred it (this hardly takes any time; it falls right apart). Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. An hour before serving time, stir in frozen noodles. Cook on low for an hour. Sometimes I also sneak in a tbsp hot sauce (our little secret) for some extra flavor.