Thursday, May 14, 2009

Birthing Classes

First of all, let me say a quick THANK YOU to the man upstairs! My Uncle Archie had a kidney removed yesterday and the surgery went successfully. He's been battling cancer and all kinds of NASTY stuff for a while now... they weren't sure what they were going to find when they opened him up, but all was good--well except for the fact that he only has one kidney now, but they were happy w/ the results. YAY!

So, Craig and I successfully graduated from our Birthing Class last night. Here are some things that you are supposed to take away from the class:

*LaMaze Breathing
*Relaxation techniques
*How a vaginal delivery works vs C-Section
*Pros and Cons of an epidural

Here are some things I PERSONALLY took away from the class:

*Craig and I have a hard time taking the LaMaze breathing seriously
*Especially if Craig's breath stinks!!!
*LaMaze breathing makes me light headed
*If Craig does not brush his teeth before I go into labor, he will not be allowed in the room (small things really bug you when someone is ALL UP IN YOUR FACE)
*Craig needs a little practice on the "helping me relax" techniques :) Please feel free to send him pointers!!
*Although I really am worried about the pain, I am not sure I want an epidural. There are so many negative risks associated w/ it. Plus the whole huge needle in the spine thing...
*The video of the C-Section scared me

All in all it was worth it, but I think I might be a little nervous now!

We also went to a breastfeeding class last weekend--that one was great. TONS of information---almost TOO much really, but lots and lots of helpful hints, etc. Mostly I think it just prepared us for the fact that it takes some patience and work to get good at it, so be prepared that it's not easy at first!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call Jess if you want to talk about not using an epidural!

Jeni

Jade said...

Let me know how that no epidural thing works out for you! :) Supposedly you feel like a million dollars afterwards if you can make it through. As for C-sections, I prefer to pretend I don't know what's going on below the "sheet" that they so thankfully drape between my face and the "guts and glory" that are happening to my belly area. I however get heart palpitations when I think about it. I am thinkig about asking for Xanax before the surgery this time-I was a HOT mess w/ Connor and almost had a panic attack on the table. Todd was proud.